Earth Day and “Green Driving”
There is no arguing that cars that burn gasoline have an impact on our environment. But did you know that you can take several simple steps to reduce your ride’s impact on Mother Earth?
At Ashland Automotive, we are proponents of balancing the convenience of having a car to get around with the responsibility of protecting the planet. In advance of Earth Day, we visited with our owner, Zach Edwards, for his top tips for “green driving”:
- Remove any unnecessary items from your cabin and trunk. Reducing weight can increase your fuel efficiency.
- Properly inflate your tires. Not only is it safer, but it can also improve your gas mileage.
- Replace your air filters on a regular basis. The Department of Energy estimates you can improve your gas mileage by as much as 10% simply by replacing a clogged or dirty air filter.
- Remove things like roof racks or cargo carriers when they are not being used. This helps to “cut drag” and improve fuel efficiency.
- If you’re going to park, turn off your car. Restarting your car takes less energy than letting it just run. Idling is a waste of fuel. Period.
- Plan your trips as much as possible. Taking the shortest route can save you time and money while reducing your total emissions—and impact on the planet. Even small changes can make a big impact over time.
- If you have multiple cars, be more choosey on which one you drive. Your impact is reduced when you put a majority of miles on the one with the better fuel efficiency.
- Ensure you maintain a regular maintenance schedule. Taking your car to a professional on a regular basis ensures it is running at peak efficiency.
Zach also notes that there are several strategies you can use when you are out and about to increase fuel efficiency, including not speeding, accelerating and braking gradually, avoiding idling, and using cruise control when appropriate.
We are all in this together, and with a little attention to detail, we can greatly reduce our impact on the planet.
At Ashland Automotive, we have earned a reputation as Ashland’s Premier Auto Repair Shop. To learn more about how we can help you keep your ride rolling right, visit ashlandautomotiveinc.com or give us a call at 541-482-4042.